Big or small, all companies need to have multilingual customer service. Read on to understand why.
What happens when an irate customer encounters a customer service representative who doesn’t speak their language? It ruins your business reputation and could even fetch you a negative review. This is where the role of multilingual customer service comes in.
Most customers feel comfortable while communicating in their mother tongue. If your customer service does not meet this requirement, it could result in customer dissatisfaction and long-standing negative consequences.
Let’s understand more about why you should consider multilingual customer service.
Importance of multilingual customer service for customer satisfaction
Communicating with the customers in their native language can bring immense business benefits ranging from increased sales to a better competitive advantage.
- Increase the geographic reach – English might be the universal language. But many customers prefer services in their native language and even consider buying from websites with a local touch. For expanding the reach of the business, you need to communicate to the international audience in their language. This helps to easily build a rapport and long-lasting relationship with customers in different locations. Multilingual customer service fetches a higher number of positive reviews from customers.
- More sales and revenue – Customers feel welcomed when the service representatives speak their language. It breaks down the barriers and increases communication. They are likely to open up about their pain points to multilingual agents. You can understand the concerns of the customers better and provide customized services to the customers. Happy customers bring more customers through word-of-mouth advertising.
- Increases customer trust and loyalty – Multilingual customer support creates a comfort level and helps to resolve the customer issues faster. Native language establishes trust and improves communication throughout the purchase cycle. This increases brand loyalty, customer retention, and positive ratings for your business.
- Avoid miscommunication – Customers approach the support division in a state of confusion. Often they are frustrated and might burst out at the slightest provocation. When you communicate in English there is a high probability of miscommunication. However, if the support staff talks in their native language, customers are at ease and understand the resolution clearly. Important information is not misinterpreted through translation.
- Stay ahead of competitors – Language barriers can create emotional distance between your company and customers. Many customers will happily pay more for a product if they receive good customer service in their native language. If you do not provide multilingual customer support, you might lose the customers to your competitors as they are likely to move to companies that speak their language.
Steps to implement multilingual customer service
- Understand the languages required for customer service. Make a list of the languages that are demanded by the customers.
- Use translation tools so that you can automatically translate the different languages on your website.
- Localize the website and support pages with the right translation management system.
- Outsource the customer support service to proficient BPOs if you find the procedure difficult to handle.
We hope you have understood the significance of multilingual customer support. Customer service language skills should become a key criterion while selecting staff for your support center. The global market is becoming increasingly diverse and to stay competitive you have to strike the right chord with the customers by understanding their language and cultural background. Introducing multilingual customer services will promote seamless two-way communication between the customers and the company.
Setting up a multilingual customer support center is a difficult task and requires a huge investment in infrastructure and training. The best option is to outsource the multilingual support services to a reputed BPO company like SBL. Contact us to know more about our industry-acclaimed multilingual support services.