Automated testing facilitates a smooth product development cycle. Read on to understand how.
Testing is a critical part of the product development process to ensure software quality. Low quality of the testing process delays the product delivery and diminishes the quality of output.
However, just having a testing process in place is not sufficient. How you run the tests are also equally important.
The two basic approaches to testing are manual testing and automated testing. While manual testing resorts to test execution manually by the software tester, automated testing uses automated tools for executing software tests. Though many companies still use manual testing, it is highly recommended to avoid it. Automated testing increases the efficiency of the software development process and eliminates the possibility of errors.
Let’s explore the benefits of automated testing to understand why you should follow this practice in your software development life cycle.
What is automated testing?
Automated testing uses an automated tool for executing test cases. The testing tool follows a predefined set of actions and compares the actual outcomes with the expected results. Based on the comparison, it generates detailed reports for further action. The entire sequence of activities is carried out without any manual intervention. You can apply automated tests to a variety of cases like API, unit, and regression testing.
Benefits of automated testing
So, why should you consider automated testing? You can find the answer by reading about the advantages of automated testing.
- Saves time and money – Software tests are not a onetime exercise. It is repeated many times during the development life cycle for each modification of the source code. Manual testing is time consuming in such situations and also costly. Automated tests can be run repeatedly and faster without incurring additional costs.
- Improves accuracy – Manual testing is prone to human error. Even the best test engineer might make mistakes during the repeated testing process. Automated tests execute the same steps without errors and ensure the same level of precision across all tests.
- Increases test coverage – Automated tests increase the scope or coverage of the tests and thereby improve the quality of the software. You can run automated tests on multiple computers and execute complex test cases providing complete coverage. Automated tests can check the memory contents, file contents, data tables, and internal program states to understand if the product is behaving according to expectations.
- Speeds up the feedback cycle – Test automation helps you to detect the bugs during the early phase of development. It reduces the feedback cycle and helps to validate the various phases in product development faster.
- Reuse the test suite – Setting up the automated test suite might be difficult. However, the advantage is that automated test suites can be reused for other projects. This saves time and reduces expenses in the long run.
- Lowers the stress on the testing team – By automating the tests, you can relieve your QA team from the monotonous process of manual testing. This frees them to take up other challenging tasks involved in software development.
- Understand the stability of the build – This is another significant advantage of automation. It supports you to accurately determine the stability of the build. You can automatically create the right databases and validate the stability faster.
Automating the testing process has many advantages for an organization. It saves time, money, and also helps to deliver quality products. Invest in an automated test suite and eliminate human error completely from your testing process.
SBL is a leading software development company with a gamut of technology services including custom application development and testing services. Contact our marketing division to discuss your software testing requirements and receive the best quote.