Artificial intelligence and machine learning are growing by leaps and bounds. These technological advancements combine with geographic information services to enable real-time location intelligence, predictive capabilities, and bring a gamut of advantages to the business. Let’s go through the applications and uses of artificial intelligence and machine learning in geographic information systems
Artificial intelligence is a field of study that aims to build smart machines to perform tasks requiring human intelligence. It enables machines to think like humans, learn from experience, and solve problems. This ability of machines to mimic human actions can find a wide range of applications in geographic information services.
Machine learning is a component of artificial intelligence that provides the systems with the ability to learn automatically and improve their functions without any human interventions. It takes three forms, namely; unsupervised learning, supervised learning, and reinforcement learning.
These two revolutionary advancements in technology help organizations to accelerate the benefits of location intelligence.
Applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning in geographic information services
These two concepts have become the focus of the recent GIS innovations and the past decade has seen a growing convergence of these fields. Here are some prominent applications of AI and ML in GIS innovations.
- Remote sensing – GIS relies on satellites and other remote sensing techniques for its imagery. While analyzing the images we use both supervised and unsupervised classification. Here we find artificial neural networks being increasingly used to determine the spatial patterns. The field of landscape ecology involves ascertaining landscape patterns by analyzing the pixels including the shape, connectivity, color, edges, and patchiness. Artificial neural networks can help by analyzing the interconnections of the pixels to gather clues on the relationships of the various objects in the landscape. Several advancements in the field of remote sensing use ANN to analyze the images and classify the objects.
- Transportation – GIS innovations leveraging AI and ML find application in the smooth regulation of the traffic. Using GIS we can map the road network. But it doesn’t take into account the uncertain situations like accidents or weather changes. The traffic on a single day does not remain the same throughout. Many sudden events can cause traffic congestion and require vehicles to take different routes. ANN analyses the congestion of roadways and all the required variables to re-route the traffic optimally
- E-Commerce and online deliveries – One of the crucial factors that build trust in e-commerce is timely delivery. GIS innovations help in network analysis to determine the travel time and connect with the location-based networks. If the delivery vehicle breaks down it might affect the entire delivery network of the company. Artificial neural networks help to decide the re-allocation in the best manner to ensure that continuity of delivery.
- Retail business – Retailers can use machine learning and location intelligence to select a site for the store, optimize the supply chain, and to personalize the customer experience. It also enables informed decision-making on the best locations to focus on advertising.
- Manufacturing sector– This set of GIS innovations finds application in optimizing the supply chain logistics of the manufacturing sector. It facilitates the automation of inspections and is useful for predictive maintenance. Companies can identify unusual activities and rectify in advance to prevent them from affecting production.
Even though the combination of AI and ML with geographic information services promises great advantages for the businesses, comprehensive software that incorporates AI and ML into the GIS framework is still in the nascent stages of development. We need intense research to harness the tremendous potential of this convergence. SBL offers a wide range of GIS tools that allows you to reap the benefits of artificial intelligence and machine learning. Our sales team can give you a clear insight into our GIS innovations. Get in touch with SBL, today.