E-A-T is a ranking factor and is used to assess how much trust Google should attach to your website. Here is an overview of this new SEO factor and how you can modify your website to meet the E-A-T guidelines.
Google is constantly improving its algorithm to provide the users the best experience and give them only relevant and trustworthy content. E-A-T stands for expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness and is an important SEO factor for websites to establish authority in their respective domains.
What exactly is E-A-T?
The terms expertise, authority, and trust represents the credibility of a business as a leader in its domain. These three metrics measure the reliability of the content in the website and also the authority of the content creator.
- Expertise – When your domain knowledge or expertise in a particular field exceeds or matches the competitors, you can be classified as an expert. Google examines and matches the pages of your website with that of the competitor’s websites and makes an impartial assessment of the website’s expertise.
- Authoritativeness – Authority is a measure of how reliable a website is. When a person searches the internet he is looking for the most reliable website that gives him authentic information. Google verifies whether the content you write is authoritative and expertly written.
- Trustworthiness – It is a measure of credibility and assesses how truthful your brand is. Google uses the backlinks your domain gains from other authority websites as a measure of trustworthiness.
E-A-T is an important factor to consider for SEO, but may not have the same relevance for all domains. For example, if you are searching for flowers, E-A-T may not be important. However, if you are searching for diabetic medication, E-A-T is highly relevant. Such topics where E-A-T is crucial are categorized as YMYL topics or Your Money or Your Life topics. These topics have the potential to influence a person’s health, finance, future, safety, and happiness. Hence Google attaches high importance to E-A-T while dealing with YMYL topics.
How to improve your website’s E-A-T?
If your website falls in the YMYL category, you might be interested to learn some sure shot methods for improving your E-A-T score. Here are some popular methods.
- Build quality backlinks – Google considers backlinks from authority websites as a reliable measure of a website’s credibility. Try to get backlinks from high domain authority sites and avoid the technique of spamming your website with poor quality backlinks.
- Constantly update the content – Updating the content regularly shows that you are active and are providing the readers with the latest information. Ensure that you edit and review the content and keep it updated. Also, make sure that the information you provide is factually correct. If your website is about an YMYL topic, you can also hire experts to write the content.
- Online reviews – Google considers online reviews as a genuine source of reputation of the business. Focus on improving the reviews and ratings across various websites that are relevant to your niche.
- Display your credential and contact details – You can display any credentials like awards, recognition, or academic excellence in your website. This will improve the reliability and authority of the content. Again, mention the contact details and other ways of customer support in the website so that Google’s Quality Raters perceive your business as a genuine one.
- Create a Wikipedia page – Google’s Quality Raters give high importance to mentions in Wikipedia. Try to get a Wikipedia page to increase your credibility in the online world.
E-A-T is emerging as an important factor for SEO. If your website covers an YMYL topic, you cannot afford to ignore E-A-T. Provide only credible content on the website and keep it updated and relevant. The process of improving the E-A-T score takes time, and it is recommended to hire the services of an expert digital marketing company like SBL to get it right.