The closure of educational institutions because of COVID-19 might continue for a while. This emphasizes the need for an end to end digital education technology to connect the students and the academic institutions during the disruption. The supportive role of digital platforms in providing education within the student’s home is examined here.
Online education is not a novel concept. Institutions have experimented successfully with digital education technology in the past. However, the digitalization never entered the mainstream, and most online platforms served as supplementary instruction modes to the existing classroom teaching.
COVID-19 is requiring us to rethink the concept of online education. The pandemic has forced the schools and universities to close, pushing the student population worldwide into chaos.
The traditional classrooms are no longer possible until a scientific solution emerges for the virus. Implementing digital technology and shifting to a full-fledged online classroom is the only solution to impart education to the 40 crores of the student population in India.
Many digital education companies have entered the race to provide the best online platforms for the students. Technology is incorporating interactive quizzes, puzzles, games, video tutorials, and online assessment sessions to bring a seamless experience that would be enjoyed by both the teachers and the students.
Students can access new learning opportunities
Digital education technology improves learning capabilities by providing students with a new self-paced learning system.
- Improves the learning ability – Online education reduces the commutation time and results in more free time for the students. This keeps the students fresh for the classes and also increases their retention power. It also promotes creativity whereby the students gain an in-depth grasp of the concepts.
- Personalized attention – In traditional classrooms individual attention is usually low. Teachers find it difficult to focus their attention on each student during the limited classroom hours. Through digital platforms, each student can have personal sessions with the teachers. This would improve their confidence and problem-solving skills.
- Interactive learning -Digital education tools increase the effectiveness and impact of teaching and enable the presentation of complex concepts in a simple, interactive, and fun manner. Technology imparts interactivity into the lessons through concept related games and role-playing.
- Self-paced learning – Technology promotes self-paced learning and gives the students the choice of study hours and topics. This gives them more control over the learning process and improves their self-learning ability.
- Feedback – Under eLearning, there is more room for feedback and revisions. The feedback can be instant with short messages or even lengthy video sessions. Since the feedbacks are also recorded in the platform, it is always addressed.
- Community learning – The connectivity through the World Wide Web allows students to build local or global learning communities to support each other.
Teachers can connect to students in exciting ways
Digital technology in education provides teachers with new teaching methods to deliver concepts interestingly.
- A different set of teaching resources – Digital technology provides teaching resources that go beyond lectures and notes. Teachers can now access videos, presentations, games, and quizzes to make their teaching interesting. They can also choose the resources that suit the learning style of the students.
- Round the clock accessibility – Teachers can access the platform at their convenience and create the teaching materials. They can review it and make changes whenever they see a need.
- Better connections with students – Teachers can connect to the students after school hours to exchange resources or clear doubts. This also allows them to know more about the students and encourage their passions like dance or singing.
- Communication with parents – Teachers can communicate instantly with the parent without waiting for a meeting. It increases transparency and trust in the process.
Growth and opportunities in the digital education market
The eLearning industry is entering a phase of the boom, especially with the impetus received due to COVID-19. The global eLearning market is estimated to touch $325 billion by 2025. Again, the worldwide mobile learning industry is expected to reach $78.5 billion by 2025. The majority of students and teachers support the benefits of eLearning and are open to welcome this methodology into their learning system. This shows the immense potential for technology companies to enter digital content creation and development of digital education platforms.
Wide-scale implementation of eLearning requires a huge investment in digital content creation. Teaching resources of all forms such as quizzes, tutorials, games, and videos are required to ensure the delivery of an interactive platform. AR and VR are used for providing a truly interactive virtual learning while rapid authoring technology can support the fast delivery of content. It even helps to translate the content into multiple languages.
Elearning platforms should evolve to address the growing educational requirements from KG to higher education. Interactive solutions would help companies to provide a seamless learning experience. Technology should also adapt to handle the increasing volume of digital content.
SBL is a leading digitalization service provider and has the right solutions to implement digital technology in education right from KG to universities. We assure zero downtime for uninterrupted education. Contact us to know more about our affordable digital education tools.