Digitaization and automation have made a far-reaching impact in all aspects of business bringing in tremendous benefits. Why not extend automation to the law-making bodies? This article examines the advantages of legislative process automation.
We live in a digital age. Information communication and technology (ICT) is simplifying digital interactions and bringing improved connectivity and faster workflows in all organizations. ICT can be successfully extended to the law-making bodies to improve their functioning by eliminating routine and improving accountability and transparency. The concept is termed as the e-parliament system and is still in its nascent stages.
When the lawmaking process is digitalized or automated it can bring countless benefits to the Government and citizens. Read on to understand more about how this revolutionary concept can improve the efficiency of the legislative bodies.
Advantages of implementing the e-Parliament system
E-Parliament connects the various stakeholders effectively and supports the primary law-making process. It introduces an environmentally-friendly way of governance and brings citizens closer to the law-making process. Hence, the e-parliament system is hailed as a revolutionary way of strengthening democracy.
● Integration of the stakeholders– e-Parliament system unifies the stakeholders and processes to facilitate the flow of information across all the departments. This makes the information readily available and improves the speed of the decision-making process.
● Ensures transparency – With process automation, the functioning of the legislative bodies becomes transparent and the public has easier access to all data. Hence, the e-Parliament system increases the accountability of the legislative bodies and reinforces democratic values. It also assures that citizens from all social strata can have a say in the law-making process. It also encourages discussions and debates among all stakeholders for healthy policymaking.
● Increases efficiency – Automation eliminates the redundant process and improves the workflow by streamlining the functions of the legislative bodies. It also interconnects all the departments and brings smart workflows to save time.
● Environmentally friendly – Automation of legislative bodies can save tons of papers and reduces the felling of trees and carbon emission. It is thus an environmentally friendly measure that serves as a role model for the citizens. By eliminating unnecessary paperwork, legislative bodies can also save time and speed up the decision-making.
● Reduces cost – e-Parliament system reduces the usage of paper and eliminates redundant processes and brings a huge reduction in cost. Legislative bodies can also decrease the cost involved in preparing for the sessions as the procedures are automated.
● Increases public engagement – Legislative process automation increases public participation. Citizens get more access to the information with legislative bodies and find it easy to share their opinion. The weaker sections, the disabled, and even the elderly get a chance to participate in the governance.
SBL’s eVidhaan solution to simplify the e-Parliament process automation
SBL is the pioneer in e-Parliament solution and has successfully implemented eVidhaan in Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly. With this solution, the HP Assembly could save Rs. 15 crores annually and save 6000 trees. SBL won the highest civil service award from Govt. of Himachal Pradesh for the exemplary initiative.
The eVidhaan solution allows the members to log in from any location, view the agenda, and participate in the debates and discussions. It is also possible to track the attendance of the members and to assign work remotely. Document sharing, electronic voting, and real-time communication facilities including mobile messaging and video conferencing make this a comprehensive solution for automating the legislative bodies. We have acquired the copyright of eVidhaan and assures a trustworthy and reliable product.
The current scenario of COVID-19 is bringing ‘remote functioning’ to the forefront. Responding to this, many organizations have switched to the remote mode by automating and digitalizing their workflows. Legislative bodies cannot stop their functions in such crises and implementing the e-Parliament system could be the right solution to ensure continuity.
Contact us to know more about the advantages of our eVidhaan solution. The product is scalable and customizable according to the requirements of the legislative bodies.